Indian Passport-Renewal Process
A traveler knows the true value of a passport, maybe a bit lesser than Nirav Modi and Vijay Mallya, but still an adequate fair amount. Ha-ha! I wanted some changes in my passport, and it was going to expire in less than a year, so I decided to get it renewed (with the changes). The process for getting your passport renewed is quite easy. Here is a quick guide for the renewal of an Indian Passport:
When does one need to get his/ her passport reissued?
- Any change in details such as name, change of address, etc.
- If the validity of original passport has expired/ is to be expired within 3 years.
- Passport is lost or damaged, or its pages have been exhausted.
Fee for renewal of an Indian passport:
- Normal Passport with 36 pages: Rs. 1500
- Normal Passport with 60 pages: Rs. 2000
- If you want to apply in the Tatkal Scheme, you would need to pay an additional fee of Rs. 2000
- There is an additional cost of Rs. 45 if you want the updates throughout the whole process until you receive your passport. We recommend for you to avail this service.
Documents required for renewal:
- Original Old Passport
- Copy of Address Proof
- Self attested copy of the first and the last two pages of your passport
- If ECR passport, copy of the certificate of matriculation
Also, carry all the original documents for verification purpose.
Steps for getting your passport reissued:
- Register yourself on Passport Seva; fill the online application with all the relevant details such as name, age, old passport’s number, pan number, etc.
- Select any (or whichever is nearest) Passport Seva Kendra, the date of your choice, and make payment. The system would allocate a batch number and the sequence for your appointment.
On the date of Appointment:
- Carry all the important documents in original and their copies and reach before the allotted time. You will be required to show the printout/ text of the allotted time of appointment.
- At the first window, you will have to submit all the documents, and then collect the token attached documents from the second window.
- When your token number is displayed, get your picture clicked. The official would match the details of your online application with the documents and will hand the printouts of your application to you.
- Then, you would be required to submit all documents including the printouts in another section for being stamped and submit your old passport for cancellation.
- You will get the stamped papers and cancelled passport, all of which (other than the old passport) you would have to submit at the last window.
- You will get an acknowledgement receipt after completion of the whole process.
You will receive your renewed passport after the police verification process. In Tatkal Scheme, the police verification takes place after the passport arrives. For more information about this, you can visit the official government website.